About a month ago, I posted a question on two group's discussion boards on LinkedIn. The question was posted to both the AAF (American Advertising Federation) and the AAF-Kansas City. I received 7 responses, which I will share with you now. The responses come from a wide variety of professionals, here's what they said:
What are the things that you think students should be learning before looking for a job at your company?
"I'm looking for the following knowledge, skills and abilities: Logic, strategic planning basics, writing (both creative and formal documents! student writing skills have diminished with the advent of email and texting!), math (although a lot of students don't like it, they'll have to deal with budgets and statistics every day), and time management. Most students have the technology skills, but lack some of the basics."
"I look for 1 quality above all others...tenacity. With sufficient intelligence, I anyone can be molded &; trained. But tenacity is not a universal trait.""HOW...TO....WRITE.... "
"Talent. Humility. Ability to listen to and learn from more experienced creatives."
"Teamwork. Communication skills. Ideas. And agree with Julie and Jeff: Humility and WRITING skills - HUGE!"
"For me--In this order: listening skills, writing, public speaking and basic math."
"A lack of a sense of entitlement."
----------------------------------------------
What does this mean? It sounds like these professionals are noticing a definite lack in the basics; reading, writing, arithmetic; all things that students should have learned early on. So next time when you're applying for a job show off these skills. Employers are apparently having a tough time finding these traits in qualified applicants, bringing these to the table may be the way that you land that dream job!
-----------------------------
>>>Go to Part Two
>>>Go to Part Two
-----------------------------






0 comments:
Post a Comment