Sunday, March 28, 2010

Question Posted to Linked In: Part 4

What are the things that you think students should be learning before looking for a job at your company?

More great advice for you! Don't forget to go back to Parts 1, 2, 3 for previous posts...


_____________________________________________________

 Speaking as an Advertising student, I relocated to Los Angeles , worked full time at an Ad Agency and was unpaid. I had to take out a pretty little loan to get this experience on my pretty little resume. Coming into it I was told it was unpaid, and last summer most of the big agencies did not pay. I think it shows a bit more commitment when you're willing to "pay your dues" and hopefully it pays me back later! 


 Nicole, It does show commitment on your part. I just think it sucks when bright young talent like you gets taken advantage of by a company that has people making 5-10 times what you would make at a decent starting salary. 




 Trust me Alan, I completely agree with you. I actually had a paid offer (not much,just a small stipend) but I could not pass TBWA/Chiat/Day up.... they were the agency that got me interested in advertising and account planning in the first place.


I think a lot of students are intimidated by the words "unpaid". It does suck, but depending on where you are it is worth it....It is odd how some agencies (For example DraftFCB) pay their interns a real salary, I think they paid something to the tune of $600/week in New York last summer, and others just assume we all have rich parents.....this does limit people like myself who pay for school etc. on their own. Thank goodness for Loans.

The actual job hunt itself is the most intimidating/hardest part of the process. It's a lot of who you know, at least it really feels that way to me. 

 

 I think that's great that DraftFCB stepped up to the plate and pays that $600 a week. I have two kids living in New York not to mention I'm from New York, so I am well aware how expensive it is to live there. That just pisses me off to hear TBWA/Chiat Day (that has reaped millions in profits) couldn't pay you. 

 

 Nicole, the job hunt has always and will continue to be an intimidating/hardest part of the process. That's unfortunate but such is life. 

 

 

 Yes it does suck that they don't pay, but they are in a position where they don't "have to". When you have thousands of students who would do the work for free, whats the use in paying?

I'm in the process of stretching my brain around this job-hunt business now. I'm trying to break into account/strategic planning, I may end up interning again before I land a job that I want ( I do not believe in settling for any old job just because the economy is in the tank) but this internship would have to be paid. No exceptions.

But Life is Life and Advertising is Amazing. If I wasn't prepared to slave away for the beginning of my career I would have gone into PR : ) 

 

 

Nicole, best of luck. I know you will be successful in your future endeavors. 

 

 

 

I am a student studying graphic design as well as minors in web design and advertising and looking for an internship in the fall of this year. I consider myself to be a creative and passionate student of design. I love it! I don't care if the internship is paid or unpaid (paid would be nice) but getting a intern job at a reputable company is BIG! The experience, what I learn from others, and being able to put that on my resume is what I'm looking for. I don't ever expect a job to be handed to me just because I am going to graduate next year with a bachelors degree in art. Being prepared while learning in school is ESSENTIAL! That is the time to take in as much as you can, build your portfolio, and obtain the skills you need to make your self stand out and be marketable in this competitive business world, or I get eaten alive like Alan said. I will do whatever it takes to work hard and earn a job and maintain it. That is minimum of what you have to do, especially nowadays with the economy. BTW: I totally agree with Nicole! In the long run, it is worth it because you have the 'experience.' 

 

 Getting an internship in the Fall is much easier than the summer. Less competition and more time to learn things and for people at the agency to know you aka trust you with bigger projects. Good Luck Brandon! 

 

 

 To everyone in on this discussion. I want to make this clear. If an internship pops up, whether its a paid gig or not. Check it out! If not getting paid works for you...do it. I just wanted to make the point that I find it terribly sad and disappointing when an agency can't open up their pocket book(a little) to help out starving young talent. 

 

 Thanks Alan for that supportive comment. Also, thanks you Nicole for the insight on getting an internship in fall. 

 

 

 ________________________________________________________________

 

0 comments: